The Trigona family is one of the historic baronial families of Sicily. Like many noble clans during feudal times, they possessed many properties throughout the island–a palace in Palermo, an out-of-town mansion in Sant’Elia (near Santa Flavia and Bagheria), and a country estate in Sicily’s hinterland. This fountain is on the property of their country estate outside of Piazza Armerina. The estate, now called Villa Trigona–an agriturismo open to tourists–was built between 1700 and 1800. It is still owned by decedents of Marco Trigona, the patron who built Piazza Armerina’s grand cathedral in the early 1600s.