This (in)famous fountain that dominates Palermo’s Piazza Pretoria was originally designed and constructed in 1554-55 by Florentine sculptor Francesco Camilliani for the garden of a Tuscan villa. Purchased and augmented by the city of Palermo in 1573, government officials placed it in front of the Palazzo Pretorio, the city’s principal municipal building, with pride. However, its nude gods, goddesses, and nymphs shocked conservative Palermitani, who deemed the landmark “Fontana della Vergogna,” or “The Fountain of Shame.”
2 Comments Add yours
Conservatives have been ruining things for others for a long time, haven’t they? Meh to them. 🙂 Interesting history lesson, though!