Cloisters in Noto

image

Known as a “stone garden” because of the white rock used to construct its principal buildings, the city of Noto was rebuilt after a devastating earthquake in 1693. The 18th century noble families built beautiful Baroque churchs and convents (for their daughters) like San Francesco (on the right) and Salvatore (on the left). Note the windows on Salvatore. They were designed to cloister the nuns.

Leave a Reply