King Roger II commissioned Palermo’s San Giovanni degli Eremiti (Saint John of the Hermits) in 1130. Completed in 1148, its red domes rise above a garden of citrus trees, roses, fichi d’india, and jasmine that was once flanked the city’s ancient Kemonia River. There is evidence that on its site was once a pagan building, a Gregorian monastery (6th century AD), and then an Islamic building (in the 11th century AD).
One Comment Add yours
Another beautiful photo of Sicily!