The bell tower of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio, affectionately known as “La Martorana,” rises above Palermo’s Piazza Bellini. Over the centuries this beloved church has been architecturally modified many times; however in-keeping with its native charm. It was commissioned in the 1140s by Admiral George of Antioch and originally built in the renowned Arab-Norman style. This bell tower was built in 1840 in a Romanesque style. Recently, “Saint Mary’s of the Admiral” was cited as one site of the UNESCO World Heritage site “Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale.”
We’ll be visiting Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio on Day 12 of September’s Enchanting Sicily Tour.