A “Pietà” in Palermo

image

The baroque Chiesa di Sant’Anna la Misericordia (Church of St. Anne the Merciful) in Palermo was consecrated in 1639. Before Santa Rosalia became Palermo’s patron saint, Saint Anne was one of the four co-patrons of the city. The facade of church, shown here, has been restored several times due to damage by earthquakes over the centuries. The relief over the main entrance that depicts the “Pietà” was sculpted by Lorenzo Marabitti in the late 18th century. 

Leave a Reply